On June 11th and 12th, the Geosciences Department will celebrate two hundred years of earth science at Williams. That’s right: our modern Geosciences Department traces its origins to Professor Amos Eaton’s tenure at the College, which began in 1817! (Eaton was also an alum, Class of 1799. For more about the history of the department, check out the exhibit currently on display at the Steven Schow Special Collections Gallery in Sawyer Library.)
Our day-and-a-half commemoration will include presentations and discussions about the department’s history, current activities and future directions, as well tours, field trips, off-campus hikes, and of course, time to socialize, connect and re-connect with our faculty and alumni.
The full program can be downloaded here. Please join us!